Jim Crisp, CPA, is the director of the firm’s Healthcare Group. During his nearly 40-year career in public accounting, he has provided audit, accounting, tax, operational and reimbursement-related services to long term care facilities, including skilled nursing homes, retirement communities and assisted living facilities, as well as senior housing and community-based health clinics. Jim also conducts employee benefit plan audits for businesses and nonprofit organizations.
Jim publishes an annual benchmark report for skilled nursing facilities. He presented the findings of their study in a seminar at the joint 2018 HFAM/Lifespan annual conference.
He also serves nonprofit organizations, including those that require Single Audits (formerly OMB Circular A-133). He has conducted and authored numerous training programs and articles on topics such as charitable giving techniques, unrelated business income tax issues, and the regulatory requirements of OMB Uniform Guidance.
Being a sounding board for clients is one of Jim’s favorite roles as a CPA. While Jim is passionate about sharing his knowledge and experience with his clients, he admits that he continues to learn from them as well. The back-and-forth exchange about financial and operational matters with business owners, executives and board members is particularly enjoyable to Jim.
Around the office, Jim thoroughly enjoys teaching and guiding staff members in their careers. His colleagues know they can always count on Jim for a good story, as he readily shares his personal and professional experiences.
- Bachelor of arts degree in economics with a concentration in accounting, UMBC (1980)
- American Institute of CPAs
- BKR International
- District of Columbia Health Care Association
- Employee Benefit Plan Audit Quality Center
- Health Facilities Association of Maryland
- LeadingAge Virgina
- LifeSpan Network
- Maryland Association of CPAs
- Maryland Nonprofits
More Fun Facts
- Jim views gourmet dining, with a great bottle of wine, as one of life’s great pleasures. Of course, dessert is part of the experience, as Jim has never met a chocolate he didn’t like.
- An avid boater, Jim is not above admitting that he once ran out of gas and had to be towed to shore.