Scott Handwerger, CPA, a partner in the firm and a member of Gross Mendelsohn’s Construction & Real Estate Group, helps contractors and real estate developers, managers and investors with tax planning and tax compliance. He specializes in cost segregation studies, which often benefit companies that have built a new facility or renovated an existing facility.
He also provides estate planning and tax planning services to high net worth families and individuals.
Scott offers a full range of tax and accounting services to restaurants. He is well versed in minimum wage issues, tip reporting and allocation compliance, inventory management systems, and food, beverage and labor costs.
A member of the firm’s Manufacturing & Wholesale Distribution Group, Scott helps manufacturers and distributors save money and increase cash flow through tax planning, using tools such as cost segregation studies, inventory method selection, lease vs. purchase studies, multi-state income tax planning, transfer pricing, and business structure decisions. He also helps manufacturers take advantage of the research and development tax credit.
For Scott, giving business advice is only one facet of his client relationships. He enjoys learning what he has in common with his clients. He feels fortunate to call many clients friends and has had many enjoyable experiences with them outside the office.
- Master’s degree in taxation, University of Baltimore (2001)
- Master’s degree in sports management, University of Massachusetts, Amherst (1994)
- Bachelor of arts degree in management, Gettysburg College (1993)
- American Institute of CPAs
- BKR International
- Manufacturing CPAs
- Maryland Association of CPAs
More Fun Facts
- Coaching his kids’ sports teams keeps Scott quite busy.
- If you can’t find Scott around the house, in the office or on his kids’ sports fields, you can probably find him on the golf course.