David Lanchak, CPA, CVA, is the director of Gross Mendelsohn’s tax department. For David, one of the best parts of being a CPA is when he gets to work alongside a client who is struggling with a decision. Recognizing that his clients are very bright people who usually make good decisions, he knows they sometimes just need the support of an outside advisor to give them the confidence they need to move forward. As a business owner himself, David understands that some decisions are incredibly difficult for business owners. He enjoys sharing his first-hand experiences with clients and being a sounding board when they need support.
A Certified Valuation Analyst, he sees tremendous opportunities for clients when the right valuation is performed for the right purpose. When performing business valuations, David most often works with clients who are buying or selling a business, planning an estate, developing a succession plan, or in litigation.
Unlike some CPAs, David enjoys business valuation because it is as much an art as a science. There are no easy right or wrong answers. He notes that while clients often have an idea of what their business is worth, that idea is usually based more on what they have put into the business rather than objective measures. David provides clients with reliable business valuations that are carefully researched, well substantiated and properly presented.
Licensed to practice in both Maryland and Virginia, David is also a member of Gross Mendelsohn’s Construction & Real Estate Group, providing audit, review, compilation, tax, business valuation, succession planning and consulting services to construction contractors, architects and engineers.
David is a graduate of the BKR Leadership Institute, an intensive two-year program designed to develop the personal, interpersonal, managerial and organizational skills of participants. Within the firm, David helps keep staff morale high by leading an active social committee.
- Bachelor of science degree in accounting, University of Baltimore (1992)
- American Institute of CPAs
- Associated Builders & Contractors
- Baltimore Estate Planning Council
- BKR International
- Maryland Association of CPAs
- Maryland Construction Network
- National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts
More Fun Facts
- In addition to playing golf and skiing, David started playing basketball again now that he is eligible for the “over 40” leagues.
- Outside the office, David stays busy keeping up with his kids’ travel sports activities.