Intuit recently announced that it will discontinue service for QuickBooks Desktop 2020 as of May 31, 2023.
If you use QuickBooks Desktop 2020, you have some decisions to make. Let’s look at how this will impact your business and what your options are as May 31 approaches.
What Does “Discontinued Service” or “Sunsetting” Mean?
Intuit releases new software every year and retires older products as part of their QuickBooks Desktop Sunset Policy. The policy is designed to encourage users to stay up-to-date with software changes, as older versions eventually become incompatible with newer operating systems.
How Will This Affect Organizations Using QuickBooks Desktop 2020?
Access to add-on services, live technical support, software updates and security patches are all discontinued after May 31, 2023 for QuickBooks Desktop 2020.
If you do not use add-on services with QuickBooks Desktop, your software will continue to work. Keep in mind that your application ceases to receive security updates, and online backups are discontinued. Without security updates, your data and business become vulnerable to cyber security threats.
The following products are affected by service discontinuation after May 31, 2023:
- QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2020
- QuickBooks Desktop Premier 2020 (General Business, Contractor, Manufacturing & Wholesale, Nonprofit, Professional Services and Retail)
- QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 20
- QuickBooks Premier Accountant Edition 2020
- QuickBooks Enterprise Accountant 20
- QuickBooks Desktop for Mac 2020
If you use any of the following services or products in conjunction with QuickBooks Desktop 2020, they will no longer be supported. This means you won’t be able to use or have access to these services or products through QuickBooks Desktop 2020. You will need to either:
- Transition to a new version of QuickBooks Desktop software or
- Migrate to QuickBooks Online to continue utilizing those services or products
For those interested in the first option, Intuit has switched QuickBooks Desktop licenses to subscription plans. They no longer sell one-time licenses.
The following Intuit services and products will be affected by the discontinuation of QuickBooks Desktop 2020:
- Workers' Comp Payment Service
- QuickBooks Workforce (formerly ViewMyPaycheck)
- Credit Card Payment Processing
- Merchant Service Deposit (reconciliation)
- Recurring Payments
- Payment Processing
- Accountant Copy Transfer Service
- Contributed Reports
- Multi-currency/Exchange Rate
- QuickBooks Time
We can help with your conversion to another QuickBooks product. Or, if you’re unsure whether QuickBooks is the best accounting system for your organization, we can help you weigh the pros and cons of other software options.
Contact us here or call 800.899.4623.