Steve Ball, CPA, CCIFP, director of Gross Mendelsohn’s Construction & Real Estate Group, provides audit, review, compilation, tax, succession planning and consulting services to construction contractors, architects and engineers.
Recognized as a construction industry expert in the Mid-Atlantic business community, Steve publishes a report on the findings of Gross Mendelsohn's annual Maryland Construction Industry Survey.
Steve also works with architects and engineers on overhead rates. He helps them understand how overhead rates work, and how to maximize compensation.
Steve enjoys sharing his insight with members of the construction community. He's authored dozens of articles for construction contractors and has been featured in several podcasts broadcast by the Maryland Construction Network (MCN). As an expert in construction accounting with 37+ years of experience, Steve also participates in many industry speaking engagements and seminars.
Passionate about working with his clients on every aspect of their business, Steve often finds himself counseling clients on “life issues” as well. After all, entrepreneurs pour their heart and soul into their businesses, so it is inevitable to have business spill over into entrepreneurs’ personal lives, and vice versa. Clients regularly seek Steve’s counsel on important business and life decisions, a testimony to the intimate and trusting bond he maintains with them.
Many of Gross Mendelsohn’s staff members view Steve as a helpful mentor who champions their professional and personal development. In fact, Steve helped launch the firm's women's initiative and leadership development program.
In addition to being a CPA, Steve is a Certified Construction Industry Financial Professional. The prestigious CCIFP designation is earned only by those with specialized expertise in the construction industry.
In his free time, Steve serves as a board member and treasurer for Covenant of Grace Presbyterian Church.
- Bachelor of business administration degree in accounting, James Madison University (1984)
- American Council of Engineering Companies / Maryland
- American Institute of CPAs
- Associated Builders & Contractors
- BKR International
- Construction Financial Management Association
- Institute of Certified Construction Industry Financial Professionals
- Maryland Association of CPAs
- Maryland Construction Network
- Washington Building Congress
More Fun Facts
- Unlike most people, Steve thoroughly enjoys public speaking, both in professional and personal settings. As a ruling elder and treasurer in his church, he regularly teaches Sunday school and has been called upon to deliver sermons when the pastors are unavailable.